Terranea Resort Invites Guests to Go Green and Get Involved This Earth Day
Los Angeles’ Oceanfront Resort Provides Environmental Teachable Moments Such as Ocean Clean-up by Kayak, Sea Lion Release, and More
Terranea Resort, A Destination Hotel, is inviting guests to go green during the resort’s annual Earth Day celebration on April 22. The oceanfront resort is offering eco-friendly teachable moments including guided adventure activities, a sea lion release, ocean clean up by kayak, sea salt conservatory unveiling, ONEHOPE Wine Tasting and plantable seeds for guests.
Set atop a bluff on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, the resort’s natural setting provides not only stunning views but also an opportunity for guests to commune with nature and spot wildlife such as dolphins, sea lions, and the endangered Palos Verdes Blue Butterfly.
Year-round conservation programs through Terranea’s Pointe Discovery activity center allow guests to participate in sustainable efforts by land and by sea. During the ocean clean up by kayak eco-excursion, guides navigate guests through the local coastline to help pick up debris and educate participants about the region’s history and marine environment. During the month of April at Terranea, a donation from each kayak trip is made to organizations such as the Surfrider Foundation and Heal the Bay to further the cause to keep the ocean environment clean and safe. Guests can also enjoy a guided walk along the nature trails with a Pointe Discovery naturalist and learn about the Palos Verdes Peninsula’s unique local ecosystem and Terranea’s year-round conservation efforts.
On social media, Terranea will provide a Green Getaway package for fans and followers to enter to win during the week of April 20-25. The Green Getaway Package will include: luxury accommodations for two nights, use of a Lexus hybrid vehicle, choice of a tide pooling, falconry or kayaking Pointe Discovery adventure, and a sea beans picnic complete with ONEHOPE Wine.
Following are a few highlighted programs during Terranea’s Earth Day Celebration:
- Reduce, Reuse, Redecorate (April 18): In partnership with Art To Grow On, guests are invited to create their own Terranea masterpieces, with a twist. Guests are encouraged to bring a recyclable item that can be repurposed into keepsake art using the helpful guidance of Pointe Discovery’s Art Experts.
- Sea Lion Release and Volunteer Drive (April 22): In partnership with the Marine Mammal Care Center rehabilitation team, Terranea will be releasing a California Sea Lion back into its natural habitat. The five-star send off for the marine mammal friends will begin at 10:00 a.m. and take place at the Terranea Beach Cove. To date, the Marine Mammal Care Center at Fort MacArthur has treated and helped rehabilitate more than 7,500 marine mammal patients. Throughout the day, guests are encouraged to sign-up for volunteer time and outreach opportunities at the Marine Mammal Care Center. Volunteers will have a behind-the-scenes opportunity to work with the team while they examine, feed and help rehabilitate sea lions and seals. Donations, which are critical to operations at the Care Center, are also welcomed.
- Sea Salt Conservatory Unveiling and ONEHOPE Wine Tasting (April 22): Guests are invited to attend the unveiling of Terranea Resort’s new sea salt conservatory with a complimentary wine tasting by ONEHOPE Wine. The newly installed sea salt conservatory is used to harvest and produce Terranea’s own signature sea salt. Created using local sea water from the Pacific, the conservatory serves as a natural evaporation greenhouse resulting in high quality sea salt, ultimately enabling the resort to become sea salt-sustainable. ONEHOPE is the choice wine of Terranea because of the company's joint commitment to making a social impact. Half of its proceeds are donated to a variety of causes, including U.S. forest preservation and protection. The tasting will take place at the sea salt conservatory located adjacent to the Palos Verdes Ballroom Terrace from 5 - 7 p.m. A selection of wines will also be available for purchase to join in the effort of giving back.
- Walk, Bike, Share-a-Ride or Zero Emissions Day (April 22): Guests are encouraged to explore Terranea and the Rancho Palos Verdes area via mass transit, their zero-emission vehicle and carpooling. On April 22, guests who carpool or drive a zero emission vehicle to the resort can validate their parking tickets at Pointe Discovery for complimentary valet parking. Less driving means fewer emissions and every gallon of gas saved keeps 20 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.
- Habitat Restoration and Plantable Seeds at Catalina Kitchen (April 22): In celebration of Earth Day, Catalina Kitchen in partnership with the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy (PVPLC), will be gifting diners with plantable seeds to encourage individuals to beautify the earth and support native wildlife with California wildflowers. In addition, Terranea will be making a contribution to the PVPLC for habitat restoration in honor of Earth Day.