Terranea's Destination Dish of The Month: October
Terranea's Destination Dish of The Month: Caramel Mascarpone Apple Parfait
Destination Hotels & Resorts has challenged our chefs across the country to take part in The Destination Dish. Each month Destination Hotels & Resorts will select one ingredient and each chef must create a recipe around the chosen ingredient and incorporate it into their restaurant menu that month. The ingredient changes every month, so do the menu items.
Explore our featured recipe of the month for Terranea Resort. Make it yourself from the recipe below or dine at sea beans to taste our chef’s special dish.
This month's featured ingredient: APPLES
Caramel Mascarpone Apple Parfait Recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup regular yogurt
1) Preheat oven to 350°. Blend flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a bowl and set aside.
2) In a mixer, blend butter with brown sugar and molasses at medium speed until combined. Add in egg and beat till smooth.
3) Add dry ingredients in small batches, alternating with yogurt until all is blended together.
4) Scrape the batter into a large non-stick baking pan and place on the center rack of over.
5) Bake for about 20 minutes or until surface springs back easily to touch. Let cool completely.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 steak of butter unsalted
1) In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and water, lemon juice and cook over high heat until sugar dissolves.
2) Cook until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from stove and add heavy cream and butter.
3) Place back on burner and bring it to a simmer. Pour the caramel into a bowl.
- 4 cup of sugar
- 2 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 large Fuji or other crisp apples—peeled, cored and thinly sliced (12 cups)
1) In a medium sauce pot, cook the sugar, water and lemon juice, to a caramel stage
2) Add the apples to the caramel, cover and let it simmer till the apples are al dente
3) Pull of the heat and let it cool
Cut the cake into rounds to fit a parfait glass.
- 1 pint of mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce
- 2 cups of whipping cream
1) In a small bowl, combine one pint of mascarpone cheese with 2 tablespoons of caramel
2) In a separate bowl Wisk 2 cups of whipping cream, combine together with the mascarpone, place it in a piping pastry bag
Cut the cake into rounds to fit in to the parfait glass. Spoon 1 tablespoons of caramel sauce into the base of the glass. Layer 2 tablespoon of apples and pipe in 1/4 cup caramel mascarpone cheese, layer with cake rounds Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending at the top with, mascarpone cheese.
Slice whole apples paper thin emerge the slices in to a simple sugar mixture, line the apples on a silpat, bake in a low heat oven, set at 200f. For about 30 minutes. Cool and place on top for garnishing.