Terranea Resort's Destination Dish of the Month - Seared Tuna with a Quinoa, Grapefruit & Arugula Salad
Destination® Hotels & Resorts has challenged our chefs across the country to take part in The Destination Dish. Each month Destination Hotels & Resorts will select one ingredient; each chef must create a recipe around the chosen ingredient and incorporate it into their restaurant menu that month. The ingredient changes every month, so do the menu items.
THIS MONTH'S Featured Ingredient: GRAPEFRUIT
Excellent source of vitamin C
Good source of inositol
A member of the vitamin B complex
Seared Tuna with a Quinoa, Grapefruit & Arugula Salad
Serves 4 people
- 4 - 6 oz. center cut Tuna steaks - ask your fishmonger to cut for you (wholefoods preferably)
- 1 Teaspoon of fresh chopped tarragon
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppercorns
- 1/2 Lemon
Quinoa, Grapefruit & Arugula Salad
- 1 large Ruby Red Grapefruit peeled & filet – save juice
- 2 cups fresh Arugula
- ¼ oz freshly grated Ginger
- ¼ cup extra virgin Olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth (365 brands from whole foods)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- ½ fine diced red pepper, quickly sautéed in a little of the olive Oil
- 2 ea. scallion fine sliced
- ½ teaspoon chipotle peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoon wild honey
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Juice of one fresh lemon
Mix and marinate the fish in the tarragon, garlic, EVOO and crushed red peppers for 30 minutes prior grilling. Pre-heat grill to 400 degrees. Season tuna with sea salt & the juice of a half a Lemon. Grill to rare and serve immediately.
Rinse the quinoa in a bowl and drain. Put the quinoa in a small saucepan with the vegetable stock add a dash of sea salt. Boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer - cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Set aside- let it rest for 10 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.
Add grapefruit juice, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, dijon mustard, chipotle pepper and salt to taste in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons of the extra virgin oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a stream to make a slightly thick dressing. Season with pepper to taste. Toss quinoa with the dressing, peppers, scallions, Arugula - season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Set aside a little of the dressing
Place the salad on platter – garnish with Grapefruit fillets, grilled tuna steaks on the side