5 Facts: The Celebration of Food and Wine
In honor of Terranea’s 5th anniversary, the Celebration of Food & Wine, featuring world-renowned wineries and delectable dishes prepared by the talented chefs of Terranea Resort, will take place this weekend on August 10, 2014.
See below for 5 fun Celebration of Food & Wine facts!
1. Boela Gerber will attend! – The head winemaker for Groot Constantia has been named ‘Young Winemaker of the Year’ in South Africa. He is the head winemaker of one of the oldest vineyards and rarely, travels to the United States.
2. Fred Holloway is here! – Holloway is the VP, Director of Production and Winemaking at Justin Vineyards. Justin is one of the most prominent vineyards in Paso Robles, CA—a region that was just named ‘Wine Region of the Year 2013’ by Decanter Magazine and Wine Spectator.
3. Cormons Picolit! - This dessert wine will be offered at the VIP dinner at mar’sel (available with the special room package). This wine is produced only on ‘prestige’ vintages—which in the 2000’s has only been ’01, ’06 and ’11. Due to the limited grape growth and complexity in developing this wine, only 250-300 bottles are produced per vintage. Additionally, each vintage is produced by the Pope while the grapes still hang on the vines—a tradition done since the 1100’s.
4. Rare European finds! - Top name producers and wineries from France and Italy offered: Domaine Faiveley, Massimo Rivetti, Il Mosnel, Marcel et Blanche, Domaine Clos de la Chapelle—all difficult and very expensive to get in the United States.
5. Grand Constance! - Boela Gerber will be bringing a wine called ‘Grand Constance’ which is a dessert wine that was one of the first wines Groot ever produced. It was once the most highly sought after dessert wine in the world in the 1700/1800’s. This wine was not only ordered by Napoleon Bonaparte while in exile in St Helena, but also written about in multiple scripts from Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.